Wheeling Tomorrow

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
christensent

Wheeling Tomorrow

Post by christensent »

Anyone want to come out tomorrow? Would like to find untracked snow, any suggestions on where to go? I usually just do I90/Tonga Ridge after a storm but it hasn't snowed in way too long so I have to try harder to avoid the tracked ruts.
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Wheeling Tomorrow

Post by Nobody »

I've already committed to going snowshoeing tomorrow. I know it's way below your level, but you're welcome to join. Mostly likely Lake 22 or Heather Lake.

The snow on Sunday was getting pretty sugary. I suspect it's really bad after the last several days of arctic air we've had. Needs some time to compact and nice fresh dump and it should be great! Breaking trail above 3,000' will probably be really tough. The Jacks Pass area has several spur roads, and and a nice big open play area. Could be some untouched stuff out there. I was really surprised how few people were out the Mountain Loop on New Years.

The Elbow Lake SNOWTEL site shows the snow has compacted 9" since January 1st.
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Thanks for the offer, I'll have to pass on that this time, getting over a cold so trying to keep it easy tomorrow with some driving. I'll probably go check out Jack's Pass, never been out there and looks like a good place with plenty of trees for self-recovery.
christensent

Post by christensent »

Also be careful if you go to Lake 22... someone died in an avalanche on the trail on Wednesday. Although the NWAC hazard is low/moderate, there are some really dangerous slopes right now and I hear that trail is pretty exposed.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

christensent wrote:Also be careful if you go to Lake 22... someone died in an avalanche on the trail on Wednesday. Although the NWAC hazard is low/moderate, there are some really dangerous slopes right now and I hear that trail is pretty exposed.
Ohh, I didn't hear about that. I'll have to look it up. We decided we're going to hike the road up pilchuck and see how far we get, so we can get an idea what to expect for a summit attempt later on. Should make for better snowshoeing anyway.
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Nobody wrote:
christensent wrote:Also be careful if you go to Lake 22... someone died in an avalanche on the trail on Wednesday. Although the NWAC hazard is low/moderate, there are some really dangerous slopes right now and I hear that trail is pretty exposed.
Ohh, I didn't hear about that. I'll have to look it up. We decided we're going to hike the road up pilchuck and see how far we get, so we can get an idea what to expect for a summit attempt later on. Should make for better snowshoeing anyway.
http://www.wta.org/signpost/deadliest-s ... avalanches

And here's a recent Pilchuck climb report: http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1080272
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Ahh, that was 2008. Pilchuck looks great! I really need to learn to ski.
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Nobody wrote:Ahh, that was 2008. Pilchuck looks great! I really need to learn to ski.
Ha... great catch! This was just posted today to a discussion and I guess I ignored the year given the month and date. That's embarrassing :-(
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Don't worry, it gets worse. Nothing like reading a thread for the first time and coming across your own post. :homer:

I would have thought a lake 22 death would be all over the news.
WINTER IS HERE
EzekielHur

Post by EzekielHur »

christensent wrote:Anyone want to come out tomorrow? Would like to find untracked snow, any suggestions on where to go? I usually just do I90/Tonga Ridge after a storm but it hasn't snowed in way too long so I have to try harder to avoid the tracked ruts.
You planning on maybe trying to arrange rides this winter? That'd be great.
christensent

Post by christensent »

EzekielHur wrote:
christensent wrote:Anyone want to come out tomorrow? Would like to find untracked snow, any suggestions on where to go? I usually just do I90/Tonga Ridge after a storm but it hasn't snowed in way too long so I have to try harder to avoid the tracked ruts.
You planning on maybe trying to arrange rides this winter? That'd be great.

Yes, I'll probably just post in this year's TR thread since most people are subscribed to that. What sort of rig are you driving?