Trip Report: Snowshoeing Mount Pilchuck - January 7, 2017

The Ultimate Snow Trek. Share your Backcountry Snowshoeing adventure here!
Nobody
Site Admin

Trip Report: Snowshoeing Mount Pilchuck - January 7, 2017

Post by Nobody »

Yesterday we got a wild hare and decided to do some snowshoeing on Mount Pilchuck. Steve's new truck broke down as we were about leave :finger: , so we jumped in my 315k mile pile and limped up to the gate at the Heather Lake trailhead. Running a little behind schedule, we left at 7:15am and headed up the road. We maintained a steady pace up to the Mount Pilchuck trailhead parking lot by about 10am. We booted all the way up to the parking lot, but snowshoes probably would have helped the last mile or so.

Photo Gallery: http://www.snowtrek.org/snowshoeing-mou ... -20170107/

Just after starting up the trail, snowshoes were pretty much required.

As we headed up the Mountain, there was some pretty serious treewell danger. With all the snow falling off the trees, I suspect some of the tree wells to be 8+ feet deep.

Fortunately, some backcountry skiers had already broke trail a few days prior. Saved some effort.

At ~4,000 feet, I had the summit fever.

but Steve was out of gas and called it ~11:30.

Had about 1,400 feet to go.

Back down the bowl to cruise around on the snowshoes.

Followed this game trail for bit. Coyote maybe?

We didn't see anyone all day until our way down the road where we passed several people on the way up. A few of them later flew by us on their skis on the way down... so depressing :frown:
WINTER IS HERE
EBSTEVE

Re: Trip Report: Snowshoeing Mount Pilchuck - January 7, 2017

Post by EBSTEVE »

1st my truck did not break down, YOU broke it!
2nd I did poop out. The way I felt yesterday I should have quit sooner but it's a good motivator to get into better shape. It has been a struggle since the back surgery but I need to pick up the pace.
Last but not least it was a blast, if the snow stays down I will be on the snow shoes again next weekend!
christensent

Post by christensent »

Nobody wrote: Fortunately, some backcountry skiers had already broke trail a few days prior. Saved some effort.
Looks like fun, looks like you're ready to spend the night next time!

FYI, snowshoeing in a skin track is really bad form, it makes it very challenging and sometimes nearly impossible to skin up. Yes I have postholed up a mountain along side a skin track, then I took up skiing. Now one could also argue that you're there and you should be able to do whatever to the snow surface in the backcountry. But regardless, the accepted convention is that it's absolutely no good to ever do it.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Thanks for the education. Not being a skier, I wasn't aware of the conflict. However in my defense, the route is the route in many parts without taking much higher effort lines. I'll certainly be more conscious in the future. I'm always on the wrong side of these conflicts :homer:
WINTER IS HERE
christensent

Post by christensent »

Nobody wrote:Thanks for the education. Not being a skier, I wasn't aware of the conflict. However in my defense, the route is the route in many parts without taking much higher effort lines. I'll certainly be more conscious in the future. I'm always on the wrong side of these conflicts :homer:
If the route is the route, or especially if you're literally on a snow covered hiking trail, then it is absolutely fair game to walk in the skin track. If it's back-country route finding where you could easily (well, not necessarily easily from a snow depth standpoint!) walk three feet to its side, not so much.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Sounds reasonable to me. Thanks!
WINTER IS HERE