2011 Rainier Mountain Festival

A place for Mountaineering and Hiking discussion and trip reports
Nobody
Site Admin

2011 Rainier Mountain Festival

Post by Nobody »

The 10th annual Rainier Mountain festival is this weekend, September 10th & 11th. I just heard an advertisement on the radio. First I've heard of it, but looks like fun. Check the website for details.

http://www.rainierfestival.com

2011 EVENT HIGHLIGHTS:

Post Monsoon Sale: Great deals on 2011 Mount Rainier rental inventory plus closeout specials from Mountain Hardwear, First Ascent, Black Diamond, Grivel, Julbo, Patagonia, La Sportiva, Asolo, Marmot, Petzl and many more.

World Class Climbers: Over 15 Everest summiters will be at the event. Mingle and ask questions, and watch slideshows with mountaineering legends such as Ed Viesturs, Jim Whittaker, Dave Hahn, and Peter Whittaker.

5 Mile Trail Run: Considered one of the classic 5 mile runs in the area, join us on Sunday morning. This course can be run or walked and you can download a registration form here.

Alpine Games: Compete for cash prizes in mountain events, such as speed climbing, sled pull, and erect-a-tent.

Mountain Technique Demonstrations: Get helpful hints from mountain guides about all sorts of mountaineering techniques, such as fitting a backpack, stove selection, boot fitting, securing a tent against bad weather, and selecting food for your adventure.

Book Signings: Famous climbing authors such as Lou and Jim Whittaker and Ed Viesturs will be signing copies of their book.

Raffle: Over $10,000 worth of gear will be raffled off with all proceeds benefiting the Mount Tahoma Trail Association.

Films and Slideshows: Personal video and slide presentations by mountaineering legends.

Music and Food: Enjoy BBQ and live entertainment all day long with local bands and microbrews.

Kids Games: Great fun for all kids. There will be a free rock wall to climb, inflatable bounce house, and kids’ games. It's all fun and it's all free.

WINTER IS HERE
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: 2011 Rainier Mountain Festival

Post by Nobody »

So this isn't going well. The exploder blew a bypass hose in BFE on our way to Paradise. Still might be able to salvage the day. :rolleyes2: :laugh:
WINTER IS HERE
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: 2011 Rainier Mountain Festival

Post by Nobody »

Well, we managed to get the bypass hose replaced and saved the day. Fist time I've ever had to take a vehicle to a shop! We continued on up to the festival. The festival itself wasn't as big as I thought it might be. Definately worth a stop. The first ascent guide team was there rubbing elbows with everyone. I thought it was pretty cool that they were just up and about with everyone. I didn't really see any screaming deals on gear. Most of the used gear looked new, except the snowshoes, they were pretty hammered. I would have loved to stick around, but the temps were in the mid 80's and the kids weren't up for sitting around listening to people talk, so we headed out for Paradise.

More pictures here
http://www.snowtrek.org/rainier-mountai ... stival.php

First Ascent Mountain Guides

Grabbed the opportunity to shake Lou Whittakers hand. He's a big dude. I'm 6'1" 220lbs and he made me feel small.

Heading up to Paradise

Inside the visitor center

One of the kids taking a closer look

One of the short trails

headwaters of the Nisqually
WINTER IS HERE