Looking for Suggestions - I90

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Srgould41

Looking for Suggestions - I90

Post by Srgould41 »

Hi,

New on the site. I am looking for snow wheeling suggestions in WA along I-90. I'm trying to get a bunch of wheeling buddies together for a snow trip in about 3 weeks, but everyone wants me to find a place and I have never been out I-90 for that purpose.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,

Steve
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Looking for Suggestions - I90

Post by Nobody »

Check out the forest service roads off tinkham road. I assume it's all still open to 4wd. I know it used to be a popular spot. Look for the forest service roads that get over 4,000 feet. I always like to try and find large open areas for playing around.

I haven't actually been snow wheeling down there, so hopefully someone else can chime in with some details. Either way, it shouldn't be too hard to head that way and follow the tracks.

Looks like January might be a pretty good month! Welcome to the forum! Don't forget to give us a trip report!
WINTER IS HERE
hartattack

Post by hartattack »

I might be trying Tinkham this sunday if your interested in trail conditions.
Srgould41

Post by Srgould41 »

Thanks for the replies guys. Hartattack, yes please. I would love to hear about the trail conditions. I'd ask to tag along, but I have too much work to do at home this weekend. Have fun! Wouldn't mind going on the Hangover Run either, but...

Nobody, where are you guys going for the Hangover Run? I normally wheel with the Seattle Cruiserheads (have an JF40). Most of the guys live north of Seattle, not quite as far as Stanwood though. I was planning on I-90 so the north and south end guys could meet in the middle, but further north is probably better. The only wheeling I've done north of Seattle is Walker.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Srgould41 wrote:Thanks for the replies guys. Hartattack, yes please. I would love to hear about the trail conditions. I'd ask to tag along, but I have too much work to do at home this weekend. Have fun! Wouldn't mind going on the Hangover Run either, but...

Nobody, where are you guys going for the Hangover Run? I normally wheel with the Seattle Cruiserheads (have an JF40). Most of the guys live north of Seattle, not quite as far as Stanwood though. I was planning on I-90 so the north and south end guys could meet in the middle, but further north is probably better. The only wheeling I've done north of Seattle is Walker.
We'll be heading into up river country beyond Sedro Woolley. It's a long haul haul up here from the south end, so I'd really recommend staying down that way.

If you're looking for something a little more central for your club, Tonga Ridge, Iron Goat, and Jacks Pass are all pretty popular snow wheeling spots by Stevens Pass. It's actually pretty cool to drive into Monroe New Years morning and seeing all the parking lots full of snow wheelers getting ready to head up in the snow.
WINTER IS HERE
hartattack

Post by hartattack »

Well i stopped and headed down Tinkham Rd on Wednesday and there wasn't any snow, the only excitement was where the creeks were running over the roads on some of the concrete crossings (running really fast at about a foot deep). I came back over the summit on Sunday and there was a little snow off Tinkham, but i didn't bother even getting off I-90 i dont think you could go up high enough to make a difference in snow, at most if you drove high enough you might see 4 inches. If you want more snow I'd suggest going past the summit and trying some forest service roads. I'd recommend checking the snow reports, and if it the weather up the pass stays the same (snowing every night) you might try Tinkham in a week or so.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

We had a few feet of snow over 4,000 feet, but it was really pretty pathetic. The 10 day forecast isn't really showing a whole lot of action right now. The spots near stevens pass that go over 5,000 feet had some pretty decent snow. Kinda wishing we headed down there this year.

Thanks for the report!
WINTER IS HERE