sugestions for a nooby?

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
blaze fest

sugestions for a nooby?

Post by blaze fest »

hi all i know im a bit out of your guyses home region but my quest is the same. i am wantingto start a snow rig. i have a 1997 chevy 4x4 4 door blazer. i have been resurching for a wile now and this is the first place i have found good info. where i live we can get any where from 1" to 3-4ft of snow a storm. what is the magor things that mack a snow rig go? how should i get started?
hear is what i have
Oxen__

Re: sugestions for a nooby?

Post by Oxen__ »

Well lift tires and gears will get you pretty far along. On your rig id look into a solid axle swap. If you want to get serious with it. But its nit a total must. But later you mite just go for it. Nice thing about rigs is you can build them as you and your ability progress :)
blaze fest

Post by blaze fest »

well i was reading around and you can only lift this style blazer 2" without exesive wear on the ball joints and u joints so im thinking that and a 3" body lift that should be enough clearenc for 32's if this is not enough i will try again on a 78 chevy pickup. do the baja clawz do desent? i like the look of them.
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

the claws are great for snow. top notch.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Welcome to the forum.

You're going to need taller tires than 32's. I really think 35's are the minimum for midsize vehicles...assuming you're talking about actually snow wheeling vs the ability to get around on the streets after a big storm. I agree with Oxen that a straight axle up front is probably necessary, but I'm not really familiar with the limitations of the stock blazer drivetrains.

If you're considering a different vehicle, then I'd stay away from fullsizes. They are really just too heavy, and would require even bigger tires.

If you go vehicle shopping, one nice thing about snow wheeling is that you don't "need" a lot of horsepower. Often it's the case that less horsepower is better.

I know you guys tend to get really dry snow and low low temps. That surgar snow can be extremely tough for any vehicle.

On snow wheeling tires... I personally insist on radials. Preferably with a 2 ply sidewall. No matter what tires you choose, airing down to <5psi is a must, so some sort of onboard air is a must. Be it a converted a/c or C02 tank, so put that high on your list.
WINTER IS HERE
blaze fest

Post by blaze fest »

thanks. I was mostly thinking mostly wheeling around in the woods hunting. it's sugary untill about febuary it snows slush up until may sometimes into july. we have already got snow this year in the bighorns around shieriden. as soon as school starts i can start work on this. gonna make new bumper/grillgard/winch mount , safary rack, and tail light covers in my shop class. maybe some fender flares idk. i dont want to put a ton of money into this project but would like it to perform decent. we will see!!!
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

Those blazers have good motors but the axles are worthless for anything larger than a 31" tire.. and yes, 35" tires minimum. Body lifts on Chevies look absolutely terrible as the frame already sticks out below the body a good ways, and they unnecessarily raise your weight up high which makes rollovers easier

I would suggest a Toyota 4Runner 85-95 22RE, Suzuki Samurai, or 90-95 Ford Ranger 4.0L for cheap reliable snow rig. BroncoIIs are great if you can get the 89/90' that have the D35 front axle and 8.8" rear. Jeeps are OK, but really start breaking once you get to a 33" tire and bigger without axle swaps.

I have had my share of 4x4s and the best one in the snow was my 85 4Runner by a long shot.. light weight. My 94 4Runner weighs 500lb more and sinks in comparison, sadly. My BroncoII was the best bang for the buck rig.

If I were to do it again I would get a 89/90 BroncoII or 90-95 Ranger 4.0L. Then weld up the rear axle, put in F150 coils in the front and shackles in the rear to lift it 1.5", and get it aligned at a tire shop. Then hack the fenders until I could fit some 37" tires. I was able to fit 37s on a stock 1990 ranger by simply hacking the fenders ALONE without any lift at all. That would be it, just wheel it. Cheap and easy. When you start lifting the rig a lot it changes geometry of everything and things start to break, plus you roll over easier. The guys in Iceland don't really lift at all, they just hack.