Hand siping tires with an Ideal Tire Groover

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Hand siping tires with an Ideal Tire Groover

Post by Nobody »

hmmm... not sure what to think. Did your groover come with the #4 head?
WINTER IS HERE
jam session

Post by jam session »

Yup it has the #4 head.

I took some pics today after wheeling this weekend up at Walker. Tires have about 200miles since siping.

Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

That looks pretty good! Looks like you really took your time and did a good job. I think you should see a lot of improvement in the ice and snow.
WINTER IS HERE
jam session

Post by jam session »

Yeah, it took me about 1.5hrs per tire, thanks. Was happy to see very little chunking after running the rocks on expressway at Walker. That was one of the reasons I chose to do it by hand instead of a machine, keeping the sipes off the edges and inside the tread blocks. Of course all the snow in the mountains melted when I did this. Can't wait for a real snow run to see how these work!
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

i ran the mtr last winter. if i could afford them in a 40 i would get them agian. they self clean realy well. great in snow mud and on rocks. the side wall is a little stiff but not too much. running them aired down to about 8 or 10psi for a few trips will get em to work the way you want . i also liked the road manners of this tire a lot. i pumped em up to 32psi on the road and ran 8-14psi off road . with non bead locks.

35/12.5r15 load range c

i was sinking to my knees in this pic.

jam session

Post by jam session »

Oxen__ wrote:

i was sinking to my knees in this pic.
Ha, that's why I started to bring snow shoes on my offroad snow runs last year. Cool pic, where is that?

I ran MTRs last year also, but they were down to 4-8/32 of tread with the least tread in the center. They had been aggressively grooved (not siped) by the previous owner and they worked well for me as well on mud, snow and especially rocks offroad. Only complaint was on ice, on road at street pressure they were not the best. These were 315/70/17 load range D, so stiffer than yours. I ran as low as 7psi in snow on stock rubicon wheels and that helped a lot. My new tires are 35/12.5/17 C and they are on trailready beadlocks, so I plan to air down to 4 or 5 if needed.

Planning to hit Twin Lakes again as soon as there is enough snow to be interesting.
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

I was in a gravel pit up at walker valley. I should be trail ready in two weeks.i just picked up used wheels and tires for the winter. And holding off on the axle swap till spring. So tie up my cab out these boggers on and we can go tear up what we may. :)

Twin lakes very much wana go hit that. I neeed to cut some 45* grooves so i dont slide when stopped on hill sides. Hey you have a groover?
jam session

Post by jam session »

Yes I do, and you'd be welcome to use it!
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

jam session wrote:Yes I do, and you'd be welcome to use it!
I was just down your way getting wheels and tars

So when can i borrow this or would you come tire sipe eith me for some brews?
jam session

Post by jam session »

What time do you have in mind? I am currently unemployed so am very flexible time wise except will be playing all weekend. I have air tools and a lift if you want to do it down here.
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

jam session wrote:What time do you have in mind? I am currently unemployed so am very flexible time wise except will be playing all weekend. I have air tools and a lift if you want to do it down here.
i will let you know here soon. i dont have a truck to haul em with.