Event: Hangover Run 2012 - Skagit County, WA

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Nobody
Site Admin

Event: Hangover Run 2012 - Skagit County, WA

Post by Nobody »

As always we'll be bringing in the New Year Snow wheeling with our unofficial Hangover Run on New Years day. If you're not afraid to air down your tires to 2-4psi you're welcome to join. Details will be announced later, but plan on leaving the meeting location at 9am.

At this point there hasn't been any significant snowfall in nearly a month. Hopefully we'll get a decent snowfall before then.

I'm not much of an organizer or trail boss, so all I ask is that you come prepared to survive in the backcountry, don't drink and drive, and don't do anything too stupid...

UPDATE:
Meeting Time: 9am
Where: park-n-ride at the junction of highway 9 and and south skagit highway
Attachments
parknride.png
WINTER IS HERE
EBSTEVE

Re: Event: Hangover Run 2012 - Skagit County, WA

Post by EBSTEVE »

Nobody wrote: don't do anything too stupid...
So.....does this mean I can't go?
Should be another good year, we just need the snow. There is a real chance of not having fresh snow for the first time in a long time, but I bet we will have some.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Notice I didn't rule out stupid all together, then I couldn't go. :tongue:

The forecasts are not looking too good at this point. Stevens Pass is still only at a 35 inch base, 2 inches new in 48 hours. A north end snotel data site is reporting 32 inches at 3,040 feet. If we can get 18-24 inches of new accumulation, we should be good!
WINTER IS HERE
Habib-the-goat-man

Post by Habib-the-goat-man »

:wtf: no :beer: :flipoff: :tongue2:
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Hi Roger :redneck: :redneck:
WINTER IS HERE
Wil

Post by Wil »

Fear Me is now Habib - the goat man... I had a feeling about you all along Roger!
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

count me in. want to go near oso?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

n16ht5 wrote:count me in. want to go near oso?
Not for New Years, but definitely once we start getting some decent snow at the lower elevations.
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

iron mt?
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

n16ht5 wrote:iron mt?
Not sure, depends on where the snow is.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Things are looking up for New Years. Looks like the mountains are going to start getting some light but steady snowfall. The NOAA outlook for January is calling for colder and wetter than normal!
THERE ARE ENHANCED CHANCES OF BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES ACROSS THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST, THE NORTHERN ROCKIES INCLUDING MOST OF MONTANA, CALIFORNIA, AND NEVADA. ELEVATED ODDS FOR BELOW NORMAL TEMPERATURES ARE ALSO INDICATED OVER ALASKA

ELEVATED ODDS FOR ABOVE MEDIAN PRECIPITATION AMOUNTS ARE PREDICTED OVER MUCH OF THE INTERIOR OF ALASKA, THE PACIFIC NORTHWEST, THE NORTHERN AND CENTRAL ROCKIES, AND FROM FAR EASTERN OKLAHOMA TO THE GREAT LAKES REGION AND INTERIOR NORTHEAST
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

I know of some secret stash behind gates in Oso if we get a lot of fresh
jwillie

Post by jwillie »

I'm over by Fish Lake and it hasn't stopped snowing here since I got here at noon. (2000ft)
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

jwillie wrote:I'm over by Fish Lake and it hasn't stopped snowing here since I got here at noon. (2000ft)
Sweet! Are you riding the snowmobiles over there? Going to be back in town for new years?
WINTER IS HERE
hartattack

Post by hartattack »

Hey. Im new to the site and have always wanted to go snow wheeling with a group (most i've done is just playing at the cabin in Ronald). I could never find a group to go with. I'd be taking a 95 f-150 with 33x13.5 and a 6 inch lift. Could I tag along on this ride?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

You're certainly welcome to join, however, 33's on a fullsize is really pushing the limits. Depending on conditions, it's very likely you won't be able to keep up. So please understand that we wouldn't want to call it a day half way up the mountain. We'd have to get you turned around and keep pushing forward.

Traditionally, new years day is a poplular snow wheeling day all over the Northwest. It's a long trek up here, so I'd really suggest heading up to Tinkham rd off I-90. Should be plenty of folks out, and it's a short drive for you.

As I mentioned in the first post, airing down into the low single digits is a must. There's no way around that. So if you haven't run low pressure like that, then again I suggest you get comfortable with it close to home. We're going to be a long way from help.

I'm not trying to be snooty or anything, I just want to be very clear and realistic about what to expect. All that said, if you're comfortable with your rig and your snow wheeling skills, then come on up!

Welcome to the forum! If you don't make it up here, I'd love to see a trip report from your neck of the woods.
WINTER IS HERE
hartattack

Post by hartattack »

Ok thanks! I wouldn't want to slow you down so I think I'll head over to Tinkham. I'll be sure to let you guys know how the snow is over there. What are the trails like off Tinkham Rd just out of curiosity? I usually stick to the trails around Ronald.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I've never been to Tinkam rd, I just know it's popular spot, or used to be anyway. Never heard of Ronald. But basically, you're just running forest service roads. You'll have a much easier time getting to higher elevation on the well traveled roads. However the flip side is you'll often be stuck in a traffic jam, but that can be fun too, gives you chance to play along side the road and socialize a bit.
WINTER IS HERE
hartattack

Post by hartattack »

Ronald is right by lake Cle Elum about 5 minutes past Roslyn.
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

my palms get sweaty just thinking of trying to snow wheel a full size.... get sliding on an off camber part and you are in for some fun...

I would head up toward salmon la sac, much closer. and dont go without a good 12k winch or another full size rig