tire question

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Oxen__

tire question

Post by Oxen__ »

how well would supper swampper thorn birds do in snow . all sipped up and maybe some scoups cut outta the tread blocks.

http://www.intercotire.com/tire_photos/ ... 8xu_sm.jpg
snowrunner574

Re: tire question

Post by snowrunner574 »

Ive only ran birds in the mud and they did decent but from what i hear they are only good on the street and for sand. Everyone around my area runs iroks, gumbos or a radial swamper tsl. Ill be trying out a set of grooved 38" SSR's this winter. There are alot of variables when it comes to a tire. All you can really do is get a tire that best suits your needs. Hope this helps :beer:
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

snowrunner574 wrote:Ive only ran birds in the mud and they did decent but from what i hear they are only good on the street and for sand. Everyone around my area runs iroks, gumbos or a radial swamper tsl. Ill be trying out a set of grooved 38" SSR's this winter. There are alot of variables when it comes to a tire. All you can really do is get a tire that best suits your needs. Hope this helps :beer:
have any links to the gumbos? my tire selection is slightly limited to a 16.5 wheel dia im running hummer wheels. so any good 16.5 tire is on my list of interest
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Thorbirds are the butt of most tire jokes. As for snow performance, you could sipe them heavily, but not being a radial will really hurt.

I've seen some decent deals on used 16.5" tsl radials and iroks. Before you get to invested, make sure that inner bead is going to hold with 2 psi. I forget whether that's an issue with the hummer wheels.
WINTER IS HERE
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

Nobody wrote:Thorbirds are the butt of most tire jokes. As for snow performance, you could sipe them heavily, but not being a radial will really hurt.

I've seen some decent deals on used 16.5" tsl radials and iroks. Before you get to invested, make sure that inner bead is going to hold with 2 psi. I forget whether that's an issue with the hummer wheels.

i found swapmer makes s few good tires in a 16.5 wheel. mite just go with a tsl or irock. if i got those names right. going to move form 35 to 38 inches and go full width. or thats my plan any way. get good n stable for side hill action.

all my mods may have to wail til spring . i want to buy every thing and put it all in at once. but for now i can come follow on 35's :D
snowrunner574

Post by snowrunner574 »

Unfortunatly they don't make gumbos new anymore. If you search on Craigslist you might get lucky and score a set but there starting to become scarce.
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

how about these?

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/ ... 3&pc=10511 lots of tread blocks and possibly sipe able.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I think Wil was/is running pitbulls up in BC, and he does really well in the snow. I'm not too sure how well they'd take siping with all the odd shaped lugs and factory siping. I can't believe how much tires cost these days, not lookingb forward to buying the next set :eek:
WINTER IS HERE
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

Nobody wrote:I think Wil was/is running pitbulls up in BC, and he does really well in the snow. I'm not too sure how well they'd take siping with all the odd shaped lugs and factory siping. I can't believe how much tires cost these days, not lookingb forward to buying the next set :eek:

tire price is very ouch :( but gotta have em to play right :)
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

sipe idea if i need it when the time comes.

the tire i want is a 41 inch . so the tread blocks are kinda large in that size. but if it helps i could add some like in the pic i did. and leave a 1/4 inch solid edge on the outer lugs .

its just an idea .

also what should i get radial or bias ply ? or what are the pros and cons to each?
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

so i wanted to get new tires this year but i mite cheap out this go arouind and get some tires from this guy and sipe emm up http://www.militaryoffroadtires.net/default.asp

i had bought 8 bolt wheels but i read there not strong enough for radials. so i am going to s-can my 36 inch tires and 8 bolt h1s . to go for 24 bolts with pvc inserts and a set of military 37's for now.

any of you guys ran the 37 in the snow? and howd they do? if there really poor i may just have to wait a lil while for tires. i am kinda holding on to the $ till i get my rig into one piece .
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Going way back in my USMC days, the 37" radials had a pretty stiff sidewall. I'm certain whatever they are running today is equally as stiff. If you want snow performance, I'd steer clear.
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

radial!!! bias suck in snow. sipe looks fine imo.

https://treadwright.com/c-43-37x12-5r16-5.aspx

37s smaller than what you want but cheap

I have been running treadwright tires for about 8 years now.. lots of miles. I had a tire last year start getting some bulge and they warrantied it. Can't beat them for the price. I really like the MTR tread pattern too.
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

Oxen__ wrote:so i wanted to get new tires this year but i mite cheap out this go arouind and get some tires from this guy and sipe emm up http://www.militaryoffroadtires.net/default.asp

i had bought 8 bolt wheels but i read there not strong enough for radials. so i am going to s-can my 36 inch tires and 8 bolt h1s . to go for 24 bolts with pvc inserts and a set of military 37's for now.

any of you guys ran the 37 in the snow? and howd they do? if there really poor i may just have to wait a lil while for tires. i am kinda holding on to the $ till i get my rig into one piece .

I ran 8 bolt H1 wheels on my old ranger and they held up fine. Somewhere I have a pic of my truck blasting through a 6ft deep avalanche on the backside of green mountain on Tupso pass.
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

n16ht5 wrote:
Oxen__ wrote:so i wanted to get new tires this year but i mite cheap out this go arouind and get some tires from this guy and sipe emm up http://www.militaryoffroadtires.net/default.asp

I ran 8 bolt H1 wheels on my old ranger and they held up fine. Somewhere I have a pic of my truck blasting through a 6ft deep avalanche on the backside of green mountain on Tupso pass.

i'd like to see a pic :)
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

can i have some more input by yall :D

so what tire do you run.

what does it work best in.

whats its faults.

ive looked at intercos line of tires and pit bulls . any that you would sugjest. i am kinda limmited on tires as i have 16.5 wheels . but i may walk away from them.

my last tire was the good year MTR kevlar in a r15/12.5/35 radial.
jam session

Post by jam session »

So I'm running your old tires, MTRK in 12.50/35/17. Just sipped them this week so we'll see how they do in snow. I thought my old ones were pretty good, though a little squirrely on road on ice. Know some guys that run the Pit Bulls and love them on mud/snow/rocks though a bit loud on the road.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

Are you wanting a good snow wheeling tire? What height do you want? Tire options drop off pretty quickly above 35-36 inches. Do you have the budget for new tires?

I believe a lot of tires can do just fine in the snow. A tire that works well at low single digit air pressure (radial) is probably one of the most important things.

I run the TSL radials. Back in the day, the gumbos and buckshots were the tire to have for snow wheeling. When those went away, I moved to the TSL radial, and have been running them since. They do run very narrow, but they take siping really well. They also top out at 38". A lot of people curse them, but I've been very happy. I wouldn't run them otherwise. I'd like to go taller, but it just isn't in my budget. I can get around good enough on 36's. Maybe someday...
WINTER IS HERE
Oxen__

Post by Oxen__ »

my tire budget realistically i would like to stay about $1400-1800.
Size 35+ but not over 40.
My rim is a killer tho. Its a 16.5x10
i would go to 16 or 17 inch rims for the right tire. I would buy tires then my rims.

Now educate me a lil more my radial mtr was bad ass in snow. Why arnt bias tires good in snow? Sidewalls are stiffer? Or weaker?
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I think you first need to decide on the size. Drivetrain requirements for a 35 vs a 40 are going to be much different. There's potentially a pretty big cost in addition to the tires. Years ago, I started to go 8 lug, and finally came to my senses and went back to 5 lug.

There a few reasons radials tend to work better than bias ply in the snow. First, by design, radials distribute the weight of the vehicle over the footprint much more evenly, whereas bias ply tires tend to load the outside of the footprint more than the center.

Second, the bias ply sidewalls are generally stiffer than a radial sidewall. The heavier bias ply sidewall is effectively raising your ground pressure. People with bias ply tires often have to pull the cores on their tires and run 0 PSI just to keep up with the radials. Keep in mind, even amoung radials, a 2ply sidewall is going to be more flexible than a 3 ply sidewall. An added benefit to the nice flexible sidewall is the that if you run a slightly narrow wheel, you can avoid the need for beadlocks.

Third, I don't really know how much this applies to all of todays performance tires, but the rubber compounds are often softer on radial tires. You can really feel the difference sometimes when it's cold outside.

On wheels, I prefer the 15 inch wheel size. I believe the sidewall is more flexible than when running a 17" wheel. One BIG draw back is with lateral stability. With all the sidewall flexibility, on sidehills my tires fold over really bad. I don't really do much sidehilling, so it's not that big of an issue for me.

Here's an old style MTR folded over.

There really aren't many radial options above the 39 irok that I'm aware of. Of course by the time you are running tires that tall, running a radial doesn't matter anyway.
WINTER IS HERE