1994 4Runner build up.. finally

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
n16ht5

1994 4Runner build up.. finally

Post by n16ht5 »

SO I got tired of getting stuck with my puny 315s/35s on my Runner. :puke: and how slow those four gerbils run
Also got tired of the lack of bottom end torque. :wtf:

Engine is stock

So... power first, I put some OBX headers, full exhaust with a cherry bomb. Oh yeah, and a ENGNBLDR RV Cam :tongue2:

air intake off a V6 toyota cressida or something.. bigger AFM, more POWER

have to swap the chip deal for the air fuel meter. I am the first person that I know of that has done this.. hope it works :)

back together.. IT RIPS!! It cranks those four gerbils over like they are on monster drinks and steroids :tongue2:

NOW for the flotation devices..
SO, on my old 4runner I had humvee tires and double beadlock wheels that I converted to 6 lug. Worked awesome but the wheels were SUPER heavy.. tire+ wheel weighed ~150lbs a pop. SO.. not many 16.5" wheels out there for toyota.. but I found some :beer: in Kingston for $100.

Got some meats on order from trailworthyfab... 37x12.50R16.5 Goodyear MT Radial

Hopefully if everything goes right I'll be back next weekend rolling on 37s with enough hamster-pounds to move :laugh:

Anyone have a tire mounting machine?
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: 1994 4Runner build up.. finally

Post by Nobody »

Do you have a plan for bead locks on the 16.5's? 16.5's will not hold a bead at low pressure due to the bead design. Also aren't those hummer tires about load range ZZZ. I recall the sidewalls being pretty heavy duty. Don't want you to get too invested and get disappointed. Seems like you were doing as good as me last year.

Do you have anyway to verify the engine mods are working?
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

bead lumps. I'll see how it turns out.

http://www.planet4x4.net/forums/165beadhold.php

Engine mods are all good. No check engine lights or anything. feels like it had 70hp below 3k before, now it feels normal.

Going to start welding the wheels today.
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

the sidewall talk is bunk. Even the bias ply ones did really well in the snow. Just air them down a bit more and they spread out nicely.

dang I miss the angerII. If I do another rig it's going to be a bobbed ranger extended cab setup just like the anger was. I only sold it because it was a standard cab. I had some serious TTB mods in that thing and it was locked F/R. I cut and turned the TTB arms and modified the axles and arms for more flex. then the double beadlock wheels and 36s with the 4.0l it was fun. I overbuilt the suspension with those beefy reservoir racing shocks and beefed up coil buckets for jumping (I used to jump my BroncoII and it would spit coils out the sides and blow out the bump stops)

Okay so back to the runner.

it's humble beginnings in 2007. stock with 31" MTRs
2008.. 33s and an aussie locker in the rear. otherwise stock. I was planning to keep it as a mostly stock daily driver.. But I found I just can't have a 4wd rig and leave it alone :D
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

n16ht5 wrote:bead lumps. I'll see how it turns out.

http://www.planet4x4.net/forums/165beadhold.php

Engine mods are all good. No check engine lights or anything. feels like it had 70hp below 3k before, now it feels normal.

Going to start welding the wheels today.
I'll be curious to hear how the homemade safety bead works. I suspect mounting the tires is going to be fun!

edit: btw - just in case you're not aware of the danger, or for general awareness of others, make 100% sure your wheels are 16.5's and not 16".
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

definitely double checked the 16.5 part on the wheel. welding up is going slow but steady... 2 down. I was reading that one guy had to put 87psi in his tire to get the bead to seat.. but that it nearly took cutting off the tire to get it off.. :laugh: so hopefully I won't have to worry about losing a bead

Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

You'll probably want to grease them up a bit. Just make sure you stand waaaaay back!

What axle gears are you running?

edit: regarding the impossible dismount. You might want to weld on some valve stem protectors like EBSTEVE has.
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

skidoosh
flexes out
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

comparison... 35 vs 37
3~4psi :eek:
barely fits..

they were a pain to set the bead.. after a can of starting fluid I gave up and took them to les schwab.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

3-4psi looks much better than I expected! Did you finish your safety beads? I'm surprised you got schawb to touch them... discount nearly refused to mount a new tire on the front of my car :rolleyes2:
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

Yeah I want to test them out soon.. wondering how they will do.

Yeah I got the beads all done.. went smoothly. I can't believe how well they fit. I just need to remount the front mud flaps and trim the plastic piece in the rear. I'm running 4.10s still so next is a regear to 5.29. It drives okay but taking off is luggy.
H8PVMNT

Post by H8PVMNT »

I really dig your hunkered down stance. It's always amanzing how much tire you can fit with little or no lift if you are smart about it.

We built a '95 4runner for my wife a few years back with just 33s, 4.88s, emu suspension and a detroit locker. It was a great sleeper and she could always spank my buddies with much bigger builds. It got t-boned on a work trip and we didn't have the resources to set it right at the time. I let a buddy buy it back after the insurance totaled it. I have always wanted to do the same build again but with more tire. Your 4ruuner is kind of inspirational...
:beer:
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

thanks.. bugger about your wifes car.

I just got some 5.29s and a front locker... I'll be busy for a bit until I get around to putting them in.
Went for a drive with wife and daughter up over to Cavanaugh.. not much snow this year.

I was surprised how well it did for 4.10s and 37s :eek: I can still use 5th! the headers and everything made all the difference
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

tried the tires out during the first pilchuck trip.. went down to where my guage quit regestering (2psi?) and the one wheel without the wire on the safety bead popped off (it was the first wheel I did, just welded a bead around the wheel instead of a wire to see if tire would mount)

I only made it 100ft through the mank until it came off

So I backed all the way out of the snow and flexed out against the ditch till the tire came off the ground haha

The good 3 definintely stayed on. I probably could run them completely flat if I wanted to :)

So I took the wheel, ground off the bead and welded wire around both sides for a monster safety bead. And then I painted the wheels black. Ready to go!

So who's up for a trip to Rat Trap pass?