Current Recommendations?

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
Srgould41

Current Recommendations?

Post by Srgould41 »

I am working on a trip with some buddies. Possibly on Jan 12th. I am looking for some recommendations on currently accessible locations north of Seattle.

Others are welcome to join us when we go... I'll be cross posting on other forums too.

Steve
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: Current Recommendations?

Post by Nobody »

Jacks Pass is a pretty good spot, especially if there are less capable rigs in the group. The main road is pretty flat, good chance that the trail has already been broke all the way over. There is a big open area people can hang out at, while the better built rigs can push higher up the mountain.

I haven't been out that way in a couple years. I'd like to go again, but I usually don't know if I can go wheeling until the last minute... family life and all.

As always, conditions can change rapidly. A bunch of rain can melt the snow real fast, which is why I generally don't plan too far ahead. The exception being New Years when we go regardless.

My V8 Bronco II at the big open area at the top of the pass

higher up
WINTER IS HERE
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

head up I90 to exit 38 or 47. I've had lots of good trips on exit 38.
jam session

Post by jam session »

I ran the Beckler River Rd toward Jack's pass on NYD with a large group of JKs. The trail is not broken all the way to the pass. We extended it some, but didn't make it all the way either. Lots of downed trees to go over and around and the snow was about 3ft deep at 1500 ft. It was the same difficult to pack stuff that you described from your run. Rigs in our group that were not on beadlocks and aired down began struggling when the snow got deeper. Still a fun place for a run.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I can't believe no one has been all the way over the pass.... I guess there aren't too many snow wheelers out there anymore. Might have to make a run down there. Jacks Pass is nice because the main road doesn't have much elevation gain.
WINTER IS HERE
Srgould41

Post by Srgould41 »

You're welcome to join us, it would be nice to have someone along who knows the area :)
Nobody wrote:I can't believe no one has been all the way over the pass.... I guess there aren't too many snow wheelers out there anymore. Might have to make a run down there. Jacks Pass is nice because the main road doesn't have much elevation gain.
Nobody
Site Admin

Post by Nobody »

I'll keep it in mind. I usually don't know if I can go until the last minute. Have to deal with babysitter logistics and such. If I'm driving down there, I'd want conditions to be good too! There seems to be a lot of trees down, so make sure someone has a saw.
WINTER IS HERE
jam session

Post by jam session »

Nobody wrote:I can't believe no one has been all the way over the pass.... I guess there aren't too many snow wheelers out there anymore. Might have to make a run down there. Jacks Pass is nice because the main road doesn't have much elevation gain.
The guy in our group who set the high mark was in a Rubicon on 40x13.5s aired down to 3 so a pretty capable rig....but even he was bogging down where we turned around. Snow conditions are just tough down low this year. We did cut a few trees out so it is likely you will need to also if you go farther.
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

Wow you know its tough when a jeep on 40s can't make it
Srgould41

Post by Srgould41 »

Jack's Pass it is. Saturday morning. If we have to divert we'll head across the road to Tonga Ridge.

Anyone want to come along? So far it's myself and four other "tentative" rigs.
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

too far away, sorry. I have plenty of better stuff within 20min of me. Have fun... If gas were still 1.20$ a gallon I would :(
EBSTEVE

Post by EBSTEVE »

I need to work on my Bronco, maybe next time.
Srgould41

Post by Srgould41 »

I understand the gas price issue. At times I really wish I went with a Toy pickup instead of my Land Cruiser. I only get 11 MGP.
n16ht5 wrote:too far away, sorry. I have plenty of better stuff within 20min of me. Have fun... If gas were still 1.20$ a gallon I would :(

There are now 2 confirmed rigs going.
n16ht5

Post by n16ht5 »

man that is brutal.. I thought my 18mpg was bad.. It is totally dumping up there right now.. should be bucketloads of snow by this weekend. Make sure you take pics for us!