DIY chains?

Discussion and product reviews of cold weather clothing, tools and equipment
Baller

DIY chains?

Post by Baller »

Has anyone attempted to make any? I just saw that Rainier has areas open but have stated that "All vehicles are required to carry chains when traveling in the park during the winter season (Nov 1 - May 1)." I don't have any for the Jeep and thought it couldn't too hard. Though they could be made out of a bit more forgiving material such as rope also.

Baller
'85 Toyota
'69 Bronco
H8PVMNT

Re: DIY chains?

Post by H8PVMNT »

I would search around for some use truck chains, like the ones for a semi. That would give you plenty of material to make chains for 37s. Then just cut and weld to suit. I don't use chains anymore after running tires over 33", but when I did I found that chains with less cross bars work better than chains with lots of them. I don't know why, but it's a fact. I say this because when making chains there is a real temptation to add alot more cross sections. Like every 8-10" spacing would be just fine.
Wake Up, It's 5:29, time to go wheeling!
Nobody
Site Admin

Re: DIY chains?

Post by Nobody »

Back in the day, the popular thing was to combine two sets of chains into a one, so you get double cross chains. Point being, it's easy enough to work with them, although starting from scratch would kinda be a pain. You might be able to find some used semi-truck chains for cheap that you can cut down.

And I'm not sure if it applies to large tire chains, but most tire stores advertise a purchase/return program for unused chains.
From this page http://www.nps.gov/mora/planyourvisit/t ... in-faq.htm . Whittaker Mountaineering rents tire chains, but it's probably unlikely that they would have chains for large tires.

WINTER IS HERE