Wheeling Tomorrow

Discussion about deep snow wheeling, vehicle builds, trip reports, etc
christensent
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:34 pm
Location: Woodinville, WA

Wheeling Tomorrow

Postby christensent » Fri Jan 06, 2017 4:54 pm

Anyone want to come out tomorrow? Would like to find untracked snow, any suggestions on where to go? I usually just do I90/Tonga Ridge after a storm but it hasn't snowed in way too long so I have to try harder to avoid the tracked ruts.

User avatar
Nobody
Site Admin
Posts: 1068
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: Stanwood, Wa
Contact:

Re: Wheeling Tomorrow

Postby Nobody » Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:50 pm

I've already committed to going snowshoeing tomorrow. I know it's way below your level, but you're welcome to join. Mostly likely Lake 22 or Heather Lake.

The snow on Sunday was getting pretty sugary. I suspect it's really bad after the last several days of arctic air we've had. Needs some time to compact and nice fresh dump and it should be great! Breaking trail above 3,000' will probably be really tough. The Jacks Pass area has several spur roads, and and a nice big open play area. Could be some untouched stuff out there. I was really surprised how few people were out the Mountain Loop on New Years.

The Elbow Lake SNOWTEL site shows the snow has compacted 9" since January 1st.
WINTER IS HERE

christensent
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:34 pm
Location: Woodinville, WA

Re: Wheeling Tomorrow

Postby christensent » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:12 pm

Thanks for the offer, I'll have to pass on that this time, getting over a cold so trying to keep it easy tomorrow with some driving. I'll probably go check out Jack's Pass, never been out there and looks like a good place with plenty of trees for self-recovery.

christensent
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:34 pm
Location: Woodinville, WA

Re: Wheeling Tomorrow

Postby christensent » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:21 pm

Also be careful if you go to Lake 22... someone died in an avalanche on the trail on Wednesday. Although the NWAC hazard is low/moderate, there are some really dangerous slopes right now and I hear that trail is pretty exposed.

User avatar
Nobody
Site Admin
Posts: 1068
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: Stanwood, Wa
Contact:

Re: Wheeling Tomorrow

Postby Nobody » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:25 pm

christensent wrote:Also be careful if you go to Lake 22... someone died in an avalanche on the trail on Wednesday. Although the NWAC hazard is low/moderate, there are some really dangerous slopes right now and I hear that trail is pretty exposed.


Ohh, I didn't hear about that. I'll have to look it up. We decided we're going to hike the road up pilchuck and see how far we get, so we can get an idea what to expect for a summit attempt later on. Should make for better snowshoeing anyway.
WINTER IS HERE

christensent
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:34 pm
Location: Woodinville, WA

Re: Wheeling Tomorrow

Postby christensent » Fri Jan 06, 2017 6:37 pm

Nobody wrote:
christensent wrote:Also be careful if you go to Lake 22... someone died in an avalanche on the trail on Wednesday. Although the NWAC hazard is low/moderate, there are some really dangerous slopes right now and I hear that trail is pretty exposed.


Ohh, I didn't hear about that. I'll have to look it up. We decided we're going to hike the road up pilchuck and see how far we get, so we can get an idea what to expect for a summit attempt later on. Should make for better snowshoeing anyway.


http://www.wta.org/signpost/deadliest-s ... avalanches

And here's a recent Pilchuck climb report: http://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1080272

User avatar
Nobody
Site Admin
Posts: 1068
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: Stanwood, Wa
Contact:

Re: Wheeling Tomorrow

Postby Nobody » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:34 pm

Ahh, that was 2008. Pilchuck looks great! I really need to learn to ski.
WINTER IS HERE

christensent
Posts: 90
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:34 pm
Location: Woodinville, WA

Re: Wheeling Tomorrow

Postby christensent » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:56 pm

Nobody wrote:Ahh, that was 2008. Pilchuck looks great! I really need to learn to ski.


Ha... great catch! This was just posted today to a discussion and I guess I ignored the year given the month and date. That's embarrassing :-(

User avatar
Nobody
Site Admin
Posts: 1068
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:58 pm
Location: Stanwood, Wa
Contact:

Re: Wheeling Tomorrow

Postby Nobody » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:05 pm

Don't worry, it gets worse. Nothing like reading a thread for the first time and coming across your own post. :homer:

I would have thought a lake 22 death would be all over the news.
WINTER IS HERE

EzekielHur
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:50 am
Location: Houston

Re: Wheeling Tomorrow

Postby EzekielHur » Sat Oct 28, 2017 12:55 am

christensent wrote:Anyone want to come out tomorrow? Would like to find untracked snow, any suggestions on where to go? I usually just do I90/Tonga Ridge after a storm but it hasn't snowed in way too long so I have to try harder to avoid the tracked ruts.


You planning on maybe trying to arrange rides this winter? That'd be great.


Return to “Snow Wheeling”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest